Community & Youth Development
Your involvement in Gitga’at community and youth programs will create more opportunities for the Gitga’at community of Hartley Bay!
Summer Internship Program at King Pacific Lodge
Summer internships, college counseling and mentoring are proven methods to transform the lives of all students everywhere. At Hartley Bay, these programs will commence in grade school, extend through to college graduation and result in full employment for young adults.
Every summer selected Gitga’at students participate in a paid internship at King Pacific Lodge. The internship program trains the students in high end tourism and hospitality skills, while also focusing on various aspects of personal professional development including:
- Developing a formal resume and cover letter
- Practicing for a professional interview
- Learning to finance higher education
- Learning about nutrition Health
Students participating in the Internship Program automatically gain entrance and training into the Guarding the Gifts Research Programs as well. This opportunity allows students to gain training in research skills and advance all skills under professional supervision.
Gitga’at Art Certification Program
Over thousands of years living in a challenging environment the Gitga’at have created finely crafted art forms through which their culture, philosophy and way of life has been brought to life in an inspiring fashion. The Artist Certification Program will revive these ancient traditions within an academic structure that allows for the richness of their life to be shared with all, brings prosperity to participants and creates a sold base upon which to build higher platforms. An established certification process will protect and enhance the Gitga’at culture by:
- Establishing a copyright of the Gitga’at brand
- Guaranteeing authenticity and quality through control of product
- Create self-employment for artists and build self-sufficiency
- Create a marketing structure for the brand through partnerships with selected retailers and distributors
- Enhance profiles of current artists and encourage apprentices to enter selected craft
- Create market-based sustainable economic activity
- Positively impact a wide array of Gitga’at economic sectors from arts and cultural tourism to eco tourism through a cooperative business model with King Pacific Lodge
Establishing a Gitga’at brand will:
- Deliver a marketing advantage for branded products
- Produce a dependable product line that is recognizable, consistent and quality
- Establish what is truly authentic of the Gitga’at experience
- Protect what should not be exploited
- Stimulate economic opportunities
- Generate revenue for heritage and cultural attractions
- Celebrate and share Gitga’at cultural history
Recreational Development Projects
Nothing makes schooling more attractive than time out for fun! Recreational Development projects aim to enhance the quality of life of the Hartley Bay community. Surveys indicate that basketball is the most popular recreational youth activity in Hartley Bay. Donations will be used to install new equipment and encourage youth to join in team activities. Less technology, more exercise! Other recreational opportunities abound in the Hartley Bay region such as kayaking and stand up paddle boarding can be administered next with appropriate funding.